A complete, engagingly-written, and easy to use introduction to the elements of narrative designed for early high-schoolers. It includes:
- A brief introduction to the short story form
- Ten complete short stories, each devoted to a key element of narrative (character, setting, conflict, plot, point of view, voice, theme, and genre)
- Ten single-page discussions of the narrative element
- Analytical and creative tasks for each story which help students think and read critically and write at increasing length
- A two-part assessment task which teachers can use or emulate. Students answer analytical and creative questions about a very short story
- A glossary of subject terminology which students should complete as they progress
This is the first unit in the Diving Bell Education English Syllabus. Hardcopies of this 94-page workbook are also available.